"When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Saturday, June 25, 2005

A Man's Castle

I've always considered myself a patriot of sorts, not in the most sentimental fashion perhaps but I've always maintained the belief that despite its many flaws I'd rather live in the good 'ol U.S. of A than in some famine ridden, warlord governed, ethnic cleansing, female circumcising third world turd pile or anywhere in France. "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are the ideals I find most appealing about the vision the founding fathers had about the republic they were forming. Those simple yet broad concepts form the basis of our national identity. Those ideals are violated when the government is given the legal right to seize an American's home, knock it down and build a strip mall for the so-called betterment of the community. There is no doubt that a few more minimum wage jobs are created by opening yet another godforsaken Starbucks but the real payday is reserved for the corporate swine and political succubi who cut the deal to build it. I don't own a home yet, but I will one day. When that day comes, anyone looking to seize it better bring a lot of ammo, I sure won't be hurting for any.

8 Comments:

Blogger web_loafer said...

I totally agree. I wish Bush would rip into this liberal court decision, he probably won't. I am tiring of his....be nice approach....that empowers the liberals to take more rights away, because he won't use his bully pulpit.

10:46 AM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Web_loafer - Corporate evil isn't necessarily a liberal attribute and Bush's "nice approach" has certainly been illustrated by the seemingly endless war he's involved us in. Wake up dude, the liberals aren't the bad guys, this was a supreme court decision. This whole conservative versus liberal thing is so absurd. We're so busy pointing fingers at each other we lose sight of how much we're ALL getting fucked.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I like your blog and think your book would be an interesting read.

I also agree that the government, which is already controlled to a much larger extent by corporations, has no business knocking down homes for the good of "big business."

There are plenty of things the government should do and a handful of good reasons to knock down run-down parts of town to make way for renewel, but another Starbucks or another Wal-Mart does little to renew an area.

5:50 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Eric - I'm glad you enjoy the blog, feel free to drop by anytime. You may actually get a chance to read my book in blog form in the near future, I'm having second thoughts regarding my involvement with the publishing industry and the literary world in general.

You're absolutely correct regarding corporate manipulation of the government. It's plainly obvious that renewal is not the ultimate goal of either entity, profit is.

7:23 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Skarr - Thanks so much for the info. I had considered self-publishing at one point but the expense was so prohibitive. I had no clue it could be done for free. If I don't hear some really good news from my agent in the coming weeks, I'm lulu bound.

9:23 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Jerz - I wouldn't piss on a Starbucks much less accept their free crap. Actually, I might piss on a Starbucks after all. Golden Lattes for everybody!

11:52 PM  
Blogger warcrygirl said...

Looks like their trying to "reverse" the supreme courts order by making it impossible for them to use federal funds to do it. Let's hope it works.

5:36 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Warcrygirl - I hope it works too, this is the type of thing that feeds into the paranoia of all those separatist militia nutjobs. Granted, you try to seize my home you better be wearing Kevlar, but I don't make a habit of delivering high explosive grievance letters via Fedex.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

torch

THE DEAD SHRINE

Skeleton And Roses GD 40th Anniversary Wings Psycle Sam

"They're A Band Beyond Description"