"When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Monday, June 06, 2005

More Drinking, Less Talking

My wife recently emailed me this article:

Secret to wedded bliss - saying sorry

British couple holds record for longest marriage at 80 years


LONDON - A British couple -- the record holders for the world's longest marriage - said on Tuesday their success was down to a glass of whisky, a glass of sherry and the word "sorry."

I can see the value of a few stiff drinks throughout an 80 year run of marriage. Living with anybody in close quarters for a prolonged period of time, dealing with his/her often annoying idiosyncrasies requires a substantial amount of patience and detachment that all too often only the mercifully numbing effects of alcohol can achieve. However, I don't put as much stock into the use of the word sorry as a sure fire method of conflict resolution. I can state several instances in which saying "I'm sorry" simply won't do:

"Our son is 13 now, I didn't see the harm in taking him to a strip club. I'm sorry."

"She's not a chiropractor exactly, she's more of a sensual masseuse. I'm sorry."

"I never did get your brakes fixed, I spent the money on that Samurai sword set. I'm sorry."

"She's taking a human sexuality course and needed visual aid. I'm sorry."

"No, I meant the good kind of fat, like on your ass. I'm sorry."






6 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

I definitely believe in the power of sorry. It's a good word, and under-used in the male species. However, confronted with your situations (they were hypothetical, right? right?), I guess you're right: sorry just ain't enough.

7:10 AM  
Blogger warcrygirl said...

The word sorry can be a powerful word. I usually preface it with the phrase "I was wrong".

Since I've started admitting when I was wrong and stating I was sorry (for jumping to conclusions, for making the incorrect choice, for hurting his feelings) he's done the same. And this from a man who almost refuses to admit when he's wrong.

Of course, booze doesn't hurt, either. End this with a good healthy romp in the sack and you've got yourself a winning situation. ;)

7:23 AM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Jay - I'll leave it up to the imagination of the individual reader as to whether the situations are hypothetical or not.

In regards to the entire male species under-using the word sorry, I wouldn't make a habit of condemning the species as a whole, that would be too much like saying the entire female species is prone to irrational fits of emotion.

Warcrygirl - A drunken make-up screw can certainly be a beautiful thing.

3:14 PM  
Blogger M said...

Funny! But I think a few more drinks are in order before those sorries really work....if they ever work.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it in yet? Oh I'm sorry. yeah you are right, there are just some circumstances sorry won't cut it. But if you are boozed up it might work.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think sorry is only good if the offense is not repeated...funny post but u'r right...sorry doesn't always cut it.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

torch

THE DEAD SHRINE

Skeleton And Roses GD 40th Anniversary Wings Psycle Sam

"They're A Band Beyond Description"