"When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Saturday, July 09, 2005

A Friend Indeed

In our increasingly complex world, varying degrees of interpretation exist when attempting to define seemingly straightforward concepts. The concept of friendship comes to mind as an example. Friendship is not a black and white proposition; it exists on many levels.

Acquaintances - An acquaintance is someone with whom a detached camaraderie is maintained. Not interesting enough to be friends with yet not irritating enough to discard, they generally serve as a source of mundane conversation and not much of anything else. Acquaintances are good to have because you don't have to overextend yourself for them. As a general rule, no one is expected to assist a mere acquaintance in a bar fight or to pull him/her out of a burning building.

Just Friends - A classification generally employed by members of the opposite sex who find you physically repulsive but enjoy having you around for purposes of amusement or convenience.

Friends - Essentially, acquaintances with benefits, people you have much in common with and whose company you enjoy for the most part with a minimal (yet distinct) amount of detachment. Everyone can attest to possessing a number of people in their lives they call friends who in essence are simply schmucks they keep around to borrow money from, get drunk or high with or solicit their assistance when moving.

Best Friends - A person you allow into your personal space because you believe he/she can be trusted in any situation.

A) A best friend will take the wheel of your Bronco and engage the cops in a low speed highway chase in order to give you the alone time necessary in the back seat to clear your head after decapitating your ex-wife and eviscerating her boyfriend.

B) A best friend would never record your phone conversations in which you reveal performing presidential fellatio and alert the press to it.

15 Comments:

Blogger warcrygirl said...

I idon't use the term "friend" lightly so I have lots of acquaintances, unless they're acquaintences I don't like being around but have to be. In that case I give them clever nicknames, like Germ Phobe

This almost backfired as one day Germ Phobe bumped into Hubby and Walmart and Hubby couldn't remember her real name. Not that he gives a shit.

7:58 AM  
Blogger PATCAM 2009 said...

*To The Marquee*

Awesome, thanks for stopping by, it looks good! PAT

8:44 AM  
Blogger M.R. said...

WCG - For all intents and purposes, her real name IS Germ Phobe. There are certain people in our lives that we simply have no real use for. It's a pretty callous thing to say but it's true and I believe most people feel that way but don't have the guts to admit it even to themselves.

12:13 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Pat - I'm glad you like it, I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks again.

12:21 PM  
Blogger PATCAM 2009 said...

I came back and re-read this post, this is so damn funny, but it's true.

8:54 AM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Pat - Thanks, I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. Drop by any time.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Michael Gregory Steele and Herman B. Hayes said...

m.r. You've commented on my blog quite a few times, so I thought I should return the favor. Although since you are merely an aquaintance maybe I shouldn't feel obligated to.

I think perhaps you've yet to discover the joke of my blog. I am discovering more everyday though that my "extremism" pales in comparison to the real relgious right. I thought I'd let you in on this, so you can save your energy for the real thing :)

8:11 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

M.G.S. - I got the joke of your blog about ten minutes after I left my first comment on it. I got a clue after I read a number of your other posts and noticed how over the top they were and I've been hooked ever since. I think it's brilliant satire, in fact I gave it a glowing rating on Blog Explosion.

I leave my scathing comments with the intention of providing you with additional comedic fodder and because I get a real kick out of it. Political and religious extremism of any kind lends itself to satire and as you can see by my own blog, I thrive on satire. You've no need to worry however, I have a tendency of letting the real extremists know where I stand, my energy is quite focused. I'd leave this message in your blog, but I don't want to ruin the illusion of our bogus adversarial discourse. I'm game to continue having fun with this if you are.

Best wishes,

M.R.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Pikkel Weezel said...

C) A best friend wouldn't get all bent out of shape when he finds out you've been sharing his wifes goodness.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Michael Gregory Steele and Herman B. Hayes said...

m.r.: You had me fooled completely. Well done.

8:58 AM  
Blogger M.R. said...

M.G.C. - Thank you very much. Satire rules!

1:24 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Pikkel weezel - Share and share alike, huh? That goes above and beyond the call of best friendship status methinks.

1:26 PM  
Blogger M.R. said...

Pikkel weezel - Share and share alike, huh? That goes above and beyond the call of best friendship status methinks.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Pikkel Weezel said...

What can I say? I'm a very giving person, sharing is good, selfishness bad.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, thanks for sharing

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

torch

THE DEAD SHRINE

Skeleton And Roses GD 40th Anniversary Wings Psycle Sam

"They're A Band Beyond Description"